Essential oils have many uses. One of the most popular uses of these oils is aromatherapy, which utilizes essential oil diffusers to disperse the oil’s fragrance and allow you to benefit from their relaxing and therapeutic properties. The most common benefits of essential oils include the following:
- Oils, such as lavender, clary sage and chamomile help you relax and unwind. These are recommended for people who have difficulty sleeping.
- There are essential oils that contain anti-microbial properties that ward off viruses that can cause illnesses. These oils include rosemary, lemon, tea tree, sage, and thyme.
- There are oils that can help in boosting your cognitive function, such as pine, eucalyptus, peppermint, and lemon.
- If you are feeling down, you can use essential oils such as sandalwood, vanilla, sweet orange, rose and jasmine, to elevate your mood and help you feel energized.
- For easy breathing, use essential oils, such as rosemary, lemon, eucalyptus and peppermint.
- There are also oils that are effective in repelling insects, which include rosemary, cedarwood, clove and lemongrass.
What is the best type of diffuser for essential oils?
Before deciding which one is the best, it is essential to note that there are several kinds of essential oil diffusers, which include the following:
1. Evaporative diffuser
It utilizes passive diffusion. You only need to place a drop of oil on tissue paper and begin benefitting from its scent. This kind of diffuser exposes the oils to the air and allow them to evaporate naturally. Some samples are clay pendants and reed diffuser. This kind of diffuser can only be used in small spaces, especially when you are using light oils that diffuse faster than the heavier ones.
2. Heat Diffuser
This type includes candle diffusers, lamp rings, steam and electric heat diffusers. While the result can cover a relatively bigger area than the first type, heat changes the chemistry of the oil. When this happens, the therapeutic properties of the oil also change.
3. Ultrasonic Diffuser
It utilizes electronic frequencies that create vibrations in water. Through this, a fine mist of the water and essential oil mixture is released into the air. This is especially helpful during the cold months because it helps in making the dry air more humid.
4. Nebulizer Diffuser
It breaks the oils into small molecules before dispersing them into the air. This way, the oils retain a higher level of therapeutic benefits. The diffuser typically comes in a bottle or a glass cylinder, which runs using a motor. It can be noisy, which makes it unpopular for those who want to use the diffuser in their bedrooms. This is also difficult to clean and can be expensive to replace when it gets broken.
So which is the best type of diffuser? It depends on where and how you will use the device. Here are some important considerations in choosing the most suitable type for you:
1. If you want to zap the viruses that you think are causing health troubles in your home, it is recommended to use a nebulizer diffuser. Run it along with anti-bacterial oils and turn it on all night. There are different sizes of this diffuser that you can choose from. For smaller spaces like your bedroom, choose the kind that runs in a quieter mode.
The downside of this type of diffuser is its usage and maintenance. It may take some time to get used to the process of putting the oils into it. You must also be very careful in cleaning the item. There are certain oils that you cannot use with this diffuser because they can clog and damage the item. It is a no-no to use thick oils, carrier oils or essential oils that are diluted in carrier oils.
2. Ultrasonic diffusers add humidity to the room while it fills the air with your chosen oil’s aroma. This is typically advisable for those who have kids prone to common colds and ear infections. It comes in various designs with lights that are attractive to kids. It also comes with an automatic shutdown feature, or you can opt to set the cycle on and off. This is not ideal for those who are living in a damp/humid area, where the additional moisture that the diffuser can provide is not needed.
3. If you want a hassle-free kind of diffuser, you can opt to use an aroma stone. It is easy to maintain, safe to use and runs silently. You can run the machine for hours or even days without worrying that the oils or the unit itself may overheat. It is made of ceramic, so you must handle it with care. This is only ideal to be used in small spaces because the item is small and cannot cover large and open areas.
4. The aroma lamp is effective in diffusing oils, even in large rooms. This is also referred to as the essential oil burner. To use it, you must first fill its bowl with warm water. You will then light the tea candle under the bowl and add some drops of your chosen oils into the bowl. It diffuses the oil fast into the air. This gives out therapeutic effects and also helps in setting the room’s mood and ambience.
When using this kind of diffuser, you have to often check the water level. Make sure that there is water in the bowl while the candle is still burning. You must also be cautious in pouring cool water to a hot bowl because it can damage and break the bowl. What will happen when you accidentally leave the candle burning with an empty bowl? Either the bowl will break or it will get really dirty and hard to clean.
Should I buy an aromatherapy oil warmer or oil diffuser?
With so many types of diffusers to choose from, you may want to look at your options before settling for an oil warmer. By heating the oil, their properties will change and their therapeutic effects will be lessened. This may also pose hazards when you have pets or kids at home.
Oil diffusers are more expensive than an oil warmer, but if you will consider the long-term effects, you will realize they are a good investment.
How do you use essential oils with a diffuser?
You will eventually know what works best for you as you get the hang of using the diffusers and different essential oils. You are the best judge about what kinds of oils give you the most therapeutic effects and which ones you find off. The amount of oil that you will place in a diffuser depends on the kind of oil that you are using and for what purpose.
How would you know which types of oils to use? Here are some mixtures that you can try to diffuse using a cold-air diffuser, which typically requires about 70 ml of water to be added to the oils.
- Use 2 drops each of peppermint essential oil and wild orange essential oil to boost your alertness and mood.
- If you want to eliminate unwanted odor in a room, diffuse the following oils – a drop each of cilantro, lime and melaleuca essential oils and 2 drops of lemon essential oil.
- To give your home a welcoming scent, diffuse 2 drops each of rosemary, lavender and lemon essential oils.
- To stimulate your immune system and help you breathe easily, use this combination of essential oils – 2 drops each of peppermint, lemon and lavender.
- If you have a hard time settling at night because you always feel energized, try diffusing these essential oils in the evening before you sleep – a drop each of ylang-ylang, bergamot and patchouli.
- Citrus blends of oils make any room smell happy and clean. For this, you will need a drop each of grapefruit, lemon and lime essential oils and 2 drops of wild orange essential oil.
- This blend provides respiratory relief, especially during the winter months – a drop each of eucalyptus, lemon and rosemary essential oils and 2 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- If you want your home or a room to smell like a garden, diffuse this combination of essential oils – 2 drops each of lavender and roman chamomile essential oils and a drop or geranium essential oil.
- To create a more manly aroma, you can diffuse a couple of drops each of cypress, wintergreen and white fir essential oils.
- If you have problems with bugs, try this effective insect-repellant combination of oils – a drop each of basil, thyme, eucalyptus and lemongrass essential oils.
- There are some people who don’t only love consuming chai tea, but they also crave for its smell. For this purpose, you can diffuse this combination – a drop of ginger essential oil, 2 drops each of cassia and clove essential oils and 3 drops of cardamom essential oil.
- If it is the smell of autumn that you are craving for, use this mixture no matter what the season is – a drop of clove essential oil, 3 drops of wild orange essential oil and 2 drops of cinnamon bark essential oil.
- This combination helps in boosting your immune system – a drop each of clove, wild orange, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils.
- This is a favorite combination to make you feel more relaxed – 2 drops each of bergamot and frankincense essential oils.
- To help you sleep better and fast, try this combination – 2 drops each of vetiver, chamomile and lavender essential oils.
- If you love the smell of Christmas, try this combination of essential oils – a drop of wintergreen and 2 drops each of wild orange and white fir essential oils.
- Add 2 drops each of cinnamon, wild orange and frankincense essential oils to your diffuser in the morning. The effect is energizing and will give you an instant boost in your mood.
- Your kids will love it if your house smells like candy. Just remember to tell them that it is only the aroma that is coming from the diffuser. For this, you will need 2 drops each of wintergreen and wild orange essential oils.
Safe use of an essential oil diffuser
How do you use an oil diffuser safely?
- Follow the manual. Make sure that you are using the appropriate diffuser for the size of the room where you will place it.
- Use the right oils depending on your needs. There are oils that can affect your respiratory system and help you breathe easily. There are oils that can help in relieving stress and tension. There are oils that are used to set the ambience of a room. There are also oils that can help in improving the quality of the air inside the room.
- Every oil has properties and positive compounds that prod your immune system to react by simply inhaling the oil’s aroma. These oils affect the limbic system in your brain in a positive manner and promote positive effects to your psychological and physical well-being as well.
Here are the top safety tips in using essential oils:
- The oil blends are not recommended for pregnant women or those who have serious illnesses. If you intend to use a diffuser, tell your doctor and get his/her approval first.
- If you want to use the oils directly on your skin, never do it without diluting the oils in a carrier oil first.
- Bear in mind that despite the health benefits, these oils must never be used as replacements to medications and therapy.
- These oils are not meant to be ingested.
- Always buy the essential oils from reputable sources. Buy the kinds of oils that you need, depending on their properties and health benefits.
Overall, using essential oil diffusers can help you save money in the long run. It is a good investment for your health and well-being. With continued use, this can give you big savings from frequent trips to the doctor, anti-stress devices, visits to the spas and massage centers and lower electricity bills.
The idea here is to learn the benefits of each oil, experiment with its use and with the combination of oils that you will diffuse. This can boost your energy, give you a better mood, and enhance your productivity.
The diffusers are also safer to use than incense and aromatic candles. Most of the diffusers utilize electricity and some of them have an automatic shutdown feature. When using incense and candles, you must always be wary that you never leave them unattended.