Sandalwood essential oil is a valuable and expensive product in the field of cosmetics. In this article, you will learn how to use this ingredient to care for your skin and hair. Each natural product’s composition, properties, type, and other characteristics differ. Sandalwood oil is often used in aromatherapy as a powerful aphrodisiac. It also finds its use in cosmetics.
Properties of sandalwood essential oil
Sandalwood oil has been used for about four millennia. Sanskrit records have even been found in ancient scriptures about its properties. I would have long forgotten This natural ingredient if it weren’t such a miracle. Egypt used a unique mixture for embalming, which contained only the essential oil (EM) of sandalwood. In India, it is still used in ritual and meditation and has also been found beneficial in Chinese medicine.
Companies that sell sandalwood kernel extract the product from East Indian or white sandalwood, an evergreen tree up to 10 m tall, originating in India, as well as several islands in the Malaysian archipelago. Due to the heavy felling of trees, sandalwood is classified as an endangered species, and its processing performance is considered an expensive product. To extract oil using the steam distillation method, wood chips and root systems are only used for trees over 30 years old. The process of obtaining raw materials takes from 48 to 72 hours. To produce 100 kg of oil, a ton of sawdust is needed.
In the past, we often used sandalwood oil to make perfumes. Still, due to the high price of raw materials, many companies have switched to using synthetic fragrances. In medicine, cheaper alternatives have been found for this product. The current ban on the export of sandalwood oil from India is worth noting until the tree population is restored. As a result of this ban, most merchants of the “miracles” have significantly increased their product prices. But India is not the only place where sandalwood grows, Australia, Africa, and should also mention America. However, the essential oil extracted from them differs from the “original” medicinal properties and chemical composition. Natural EO herbal and wax scent has a dense and thick color consistency from light yellow to brown. If you buy high-quality ingredients, you will get a product of 90% Santanol, alcohol soluble in ethanol and petroleum. This product also consists of a trans isomer.
Where is sandalwood essential oil used?
EO sandalwood can be a healing agent to reduce pressure, improve memory, relax intestinal muscles, relieve spasms and inflammation of nerves and blood vessels, and eliminate eczema and fungus. The raw materials are also used for sexual disorders in men, for coughs, rhinitis, sore throat, nausea, female frostbite, mosquito bites, vaginitis, urethritis, and cystitis.
In appropriate doses, many essential oils, including sandalwood, positively affect the psyche, helping eliminate evil thoughts, insomnia, and anxiety. But this tool plays a unique role in the field of cosmetology.
Before buying electric cars, be aware of the category of “contraindications,” which include:
- Children under 12 years old.
- Individual intolerance in the form of allergies.
- Kidney problems (tuberculosis, glomerulonephritis).
- Do not take orally for gastritis, acidity, or peptic ulcer.
- High blood pressure, high blood pressure.
Also, consider the soothing aroma of the oil, which can make people who are bad even more relaxed. When the dose of the necessary product is increased, there may be slight nausea.
Skincare for face and body with sandalwood essential oil
The healing essence of sandalwood trees has been a youth-extending ingredient for years. Now, this product is saturated with creams, masks, tonics, and lotions, so they are again more effective in fighting skin imperfections.
Sandalwood oil attracts many girls and women because of its ability to have a beneficial effect on the skin layer:
- It Fights acne and pimples.
- Reduces oily shine on the face.
- Soothes sensitive skin
- Together with other beauty products, it helps to smooth out fine wrinkles.
- Increases skin elasticity.
- Reduces puffiness and bruising under the eyes.
- Has whitening ability.
- Has some lifting capacity.
- Moisturizes dry skin.
With essential sandalwood products in your arsenal, you can prepare at home:
- Mask for facial skin renewal. 1 tbsp. Mix a spoonful of jojoba oil with three drops of essential frankincense and the same amount of vetiver. Add just one drop of Sandalwood EO to the mixture. Apply the finished product to your face for 15 minutes. For best results, rinse off the mask not with water but with hydrolat. Damask rose hydrolat is excellent for this purpose. By the way, this medicated blend of oils will also help get rid of acne. Of course, to be successful, it will be necessary to complete a set of such procedures, consider nutrition and check the condition of internal organs.
- Moisturizing mask for dry skin. Take two drops of sandalwood EO for 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Apply to the skin with a patting motion with your fingertips and wash off the residue after 10 minutes with a decorative napkin.
- Nourishing cream for normal skin. The composition of such a product contains cedar oil (10%), apricot (8%), emulsion Oliver 1000 (5%), sandalwood hydrolase (29%), distilled water (41.4%), NUF (3%), panthenol (3%), preservative Cosgard (0.6 %).
- Ointment to smooth wrinkles around the eyes. To make wrinkles less visible, rub a mixture of two drops of sandalwood oil and a reduction of neroli into this area daily. A combination of three drops – rose, sandalwood, and lime – copes well with this problem.
- Eye cream. Suppose you are into creams or want to learn this craft. In that case, you can use the following combination for the eyelids: apricot kernel oil (7.6%), castor oil (5%), mango (7.6%), and emulsion wax (5%). Rose hydrolase (71 .7%), hyaluronic acid (0.5%), silk peptide (2%), Coastguard preservative (0.6%), and a few drops of rose and sandalwood essential oils.
Add a few drops of EO to lotion, milk, or body scrub if you want to get more results from using the product.
Or order the ready-to-use body care products that contain the same healing sandalwood essence:
- Valent Vata: Natural Sandalwood Body Cream – a nourishing product for the body, fights against sagging skin and gives the skin softness and velvet. In addition to sandalwood, the composition contains butter, jojoba, mango, beeswax, and other natural ingredients.
- Planeta Organica Indian Cashew & Organic Sandalwood Oil Body Scrub – an anti-cellulite product for skin regeneration and regeneration containing cashew nut oil, laurel, sandalwood, vitamins, sea salt, bamboo extract, etc.
- Miko body cream butter “Sandal” – a good remedy for rough skin from cocoa butter, sandalwood, almond, butter, rosemary, calendula chamomile extract, and other natural ingredients. The product is also suitable for massage treatments. Excellent skin care products for
The body can be made at home:
- Hand cream with sandalwood and aloe gel. Mix 10 drops of essential oils of lavender, sandalwood, palmarosa, and a decline of benzoin absolute (5 drops), stirring constantly. Add 50 g of aloe Vera gel. It is recommended to use the finished product for hands after washing and before going to bed.
- Body cream for all skin types. Make a blend of geranium (50 drops), myrtle (30 slides), lavender (30 drops), sandalwood (20 drops), and rosemary (25 drops) essential oils. Add about 0.5% of this mixture to the store-bought or prepared neutral body lotion.
- Oils after a bath or shower. Pour into a bottle of dark material and shake well with 100 ml of jojoba or sweet almond, 3 drops of patchouli, 3 drops of sandalwood, 1 drop of coriander, and 2 drops of jasmine.
Sandalwood essential oil for hair care
You can add many essential oils to regular shampoos and conditioners. In this way, you can enrich cosmetics with nutrients, which then positively affect the hair’s structure.
Some Eos add shine to hair, others have mild bleaching properties, and as for the sandalwood version, it can help:
- Strengthen the roots.
- We are dealing with dandruff.
- Trace the ends of the threads.
- Reduce hair loss.
- Make silky hair smooth.
To see the results of using sandalwood essence as an ingredient in hair care products, you can use the following recipes:
- For shiny hair. Put some raw sandalwood on a comb (a wooden comb is perfect for this) and comb the hair along the entire length so that the unique composition is distributed evenly throughout the strands. This method can be performed every day.
- For weak hair. Mix 1 tbsp. Spoon of crude oil, olive oil, or carrier oil with three drops of essential oil. Spread the prepared mixture through the hair, put a bag on top and wrap it in a towel. After literally 40 minutes, wash your hair with regular shampoo.
- For damaged hair. Mix the egg yolks, 2 tbsp. Tablespoons of castor oil, 1 teaspoon of liquid honey, and milk powder until a homogeneous paste is formed. Add 2 drops of Sandalwood and Clary Sage EO. Apply the prepared mask to the scalp and hair, and wrap the head with a towel. After 20 minutes, should wash off the cover with shampoo.
- For dry hair. Mix 20 ml of honey, 5 ml of jojoba oil, the same amount of safflower oil, 3 ml of castor or olive oil, 2 drops of sandalwood, and 1 drop of lemon essential oil in one bowl. Apply the resulting mixture to the hair without touching the scalp, put a bag on the head and wrap it with a towel for 30 minutes.
- For thicker curly hair. Apply for 20 minutes a mask of 25 ml of jojoba oil, 25 ml of ricin, 7 drops of rosewood, 20 drops of sandalwood, and rinse with shampoo.
Remember that sandalwood oil can weigh down the hair, so it is recommended to use it to care for strands during the cold season.
Where to buy sandalwood essential oil
Essential oils are available in pharmacies and online stores. As for raw sandalwood, it cannot be cheap. Otherwise, it is fake.
Should store essential oils in tightly closed dark glass bottles out of the reach of small children. Since sandalwood essential oil is very thick in consistency, you can heat the bottle slightly to extract it easily