Almond oil, what is? its composition and calorie content. Useful properties of oily kale from almond terms, contraindications to use, and possible damage. Almond butter recipes. Interesting facts.
Almond oil is a natural vegetable product made from almond seeds. Only sweet kernels are used to obtain it. Bitter almond fat is used only for technical purposes. Food production technology involves drying, grinding, and subsequent double cold pressing, with the exception of chemical effects. This method of mechanical processing allows you to preserve the maximum of useful substances. The use of almond oil in cooking is quite extensive, although it is mainly used in raw form. It is added to the packaging of prepared dishes from poultry, meat, fish, various cereals, vegetables, mushrooms, as well as sweet pastries. Next, we will focus on the composition of the almond cabbage, its useful properties, rules of choice when buying, and options for using it in cooking.
Composition and caloric content of almond oil
It is easy to determine what almond oil is useful, thanks to its chemical composition, which shows the amount of all nutrients. If we talk about sweet varieties, then the product is completely safe. In the case of bitter kernels, hydrochloric acid is very often determined in those that are dangerous to health. Next, we will consider what a useful ingredient the oil of sweet almonds contains.
The caloric content of almond oil per 100 g is 884 kcal, including:
- Protein – 0 g;
- Fat – 100 g;
- Carbohydrates – 0 g;
- Phytosterol – 266 mg
- Vitamins per 100 g:
- Vitamin B4 – 0.4 mg;
- Vitamin E – 39.2 mg;
- Vitamin K – 7 micrograms
The vitamin E content is impressive. The indicator is 2.5 times the daily fee. Based on this, to get the right amount of this useful ingredient, it is enough to use about 40 g of the product in various dishes.
In smaller quantities, almond oil contains vitamins PP, F, and beta-carotene.
Of the minerals, manganese, phosphorus, and copper are determined in insignificant amounts.
Saturated fatty acids per 100 g:
- Palmitic – 6, 5 g;
- Steric – 1, 7 g.
Monounsaturated fatty acids per 100 g:
- Palmitoleic – 0.6 g;
- Omega -9 – 69.4 g.
The amount of monounsaturated fatty acids is quite high and exceeds the norm by more than 4 times.
Of the polyunsaturated fatty acids, omega-6 is present in the composition of almond oil in an amount of 17.4 g, which is equivalent to 103% of the body’s daily needs.
Favorable properties of almond oil
Almond oil is considered one of the healthiest. Its medicinal properties have been known for several millennia. Eating this product allows you to treat many diseases and fight premature aging.
Useful properties of almond oil for different body systems:
- Vascular system and circulation … By removing cholesterol, almond oil helps to clear blood vessels and eliminate the symptoms of such a dangerous disease as atherosclerosis. With constant use, the elasticity of blood vessel walls improves, the cavity expands and blood flow improves.
- Gastrointestinal tract … By consuming almond oil inside, many digestive problems can be cured. For example, the product has a positive effect on health in the case of high acidity and gastritis. It gently envelops the stomach walls, protecting them from all kinds of negative effects. This is a very important remedy for wounds. You can also eliminate flatulence, prevent constipation due to laxative effects and generally improve bowel movements.
- Respiratory and ENT organs … High-quality products help to accelerate recovery from bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, otitis media, and rhinitis. It has an anti-inflammatory effect and also facilitates mucous membranes and thus helps in the renewal and softening of mucous membranes and facilitates breathing. When treating the nose and ears, they use squeeze from the almond inside and also use it on the outside. The oil helps to actively fight germs.
- Skin … The vitamins and fatty acids present in almond oil make it essential for solving various cosmetic problems. First, the product is useful for preserving youth due to its high content of vitamin E. With its help, you can smooth out wrinkles, restore skin tone and make them more elastic. The therapeutic effect is due to anti-inflammatory and rejuvenating actions.
It is interesting to note that almond oil can also be used for massage in children. It perfectly stimulates blood circulation and the development of the musculoskeletal system, eliminates rashes and peeling, and helps to relieve allergic symptoms.
Contraindications and damage to almond oil
In general, almond oil is a squeezed-safe product. The exception is individual intolerance. If you ignore contraindications, even good almond oil can be harmful and cause a strong allergic reaction. Therefore, if there is a tendency for such a reaction, then it is better to familiarize yourself with it, starting with a small dose.
In addition, it is important to understand that high levels of tocopherol can also be harmful if it is exceeded in the body. Symptoms of vitamin E overdose include headache, blurred vision, muscle aches and cramps, and indigestion. If they occur, it is necessary to review the diet. You should not take medicine with this substance with almond oil.
Among the body’s negative reactions to excessive consumption should be pointed out the irritation of the skin and increased activity of sebaceous glands.
Almond oil can cause some damage to obesity and worsen the human condition because the product is high in calories. It is also not recommended to abuse it for people who are watching their movies so as not to gain weight.
So if we combine the benefits and harms of almond oil, then of course the great usefulness of the product can tip the scales aside. The positive effects on the body, the variety of uses in cooking, and the supply fully explain the popularity of squeezing from sweet almond grains.
How to choose almond oil?
First of all, it is possible to evaluate a product visually, but sometimes it is difficult to do this in a store because the product is preferably present in dark glass bottles. High-quality pomace has a homogeneous light yellow color without inclusion. Sometimes almost colorless oil goes on sale. Taste – peanut-poor, rather delicate, it can be a little pleasant bitterness. The aroma is not noticeable.
You can buy almond oil in specialty stores or online. But it is advisable to confirm the supplier. It is not a shame to inquire about the documents for the products sold, e.g. the choice depends on how useful and safe its use will be.
Good quality almond oil is rather expensive. It goes 10-20 times over the cost of sunflower and sometimes 30-40 times. Depending on the varieties used and production technology. The product made with wood presses is very much appreciated, which eliminates the contact of raw material with metal.
If the product is cheaper, then this is a reason to doubt its naturalness, usefulness, and safety. To reduce product costs, unscrupulous manufacturers may use low-quality ingredients or add unwanted additives.
Also, before you buy, you can read reviews about almond oil. In online stores, you can find products from Russia, Pakistan, the USA, India, UAE, Egypt, Germany, and other countries.
Properties of using almond oil in cooking
You can use oily brown cabbage in cooking instead of olive oil. You can buy edible almond oil both refined and unprocessed. In the first case, the product can be used for frying. It does not foam when heated and will not significantly affect the taste and smell of the finished dish. This option is usually chosen when cooking fried fish. Its taste characteristics are rather modest. In addition, the usability is much lower.
In the case of cleaned pomegranate, it is not recommended to keep it warm. Such a product should be used to dress salads and make various sauces. The benefits of crude almond oil are maximal. In addition, it will fill the aroma and taste of food with peanut butter.
Before using an open jar of almond oil, you need to make sure that it has not deteriorated. Evaluate visually so that there is no sediment and taste it. The fact is that the shelf life of the open product is significantly reduced. At the same time, you need to store it in a glass container with a closed lid in the refrigerator.
Almond oil for cooking is used in conjunction with many foods. First, in pure form, it is often added to fish, meat, and vegetables. Based on this, many recipes for sauces and dressings have been developed – with mushrooms, cheese, vegetables, seafood, and more. The simplest use is to sprinkle fragrant, oily liquid on fresh bread crumbs.
Almond Butter Recipes
The variety of cooking recipes with almond kernels and their fatty kale is explained by their excellent taste and great health. However, it should be borne in mind that the amount of valuable substances decreases significantly if you use the product for frying and baking at high temperatures. We offer some interesting recipes where the taste of almond oil and its aroma is well expressed.
Almond seed oil dishes:
- Mushroom sauce … Ingredients: almond oil (25 ml), water (50 ml), mushrooms (100 g), soy sauce (1 tsp.), onion (0.5 pcs.). First, we wash the mushrooms and chop a little. In a pan, along with water and chopped onion, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat until all the liquid has evaporated. Cool, add soy sauce, and almond oil, and beat with a mixer to obtain a homogeneous mass. The sauce is ready.
- Spaghetti with almond butter pesto sauce… Ingredients: spaghetti (200 g), cooking water, tomatoes (200 g), basil (30 g), almonds (60 g), almond oil (30 ml), parmesan cheese (100 g), salt (to taste). Prepare the sauce first. We wash the basil leaves, dry them, and, together with the peeled garlic and salt, send them to a blender. Grind a little. Lightly fry the almonds in a dry pan. Cut the cheese into pieces. Put both ingredients in the mixing bowl in the basil. Whisk in pulsating mode and gradually add almond oil. We came to the desired consistency. Cut clean tomatoes into 4 parts, take out the puree with seeds and leave other dishes and chop the remaining walls with a knife. Mix them with pesto sauce. Cook spaghetti al dente. Mix them with the sauce on a plate and serve immediately.
- Rice with almond oil and ketchup … Ingredients: brown rice (300 g), olive oil (21 tablespoons), salt (to taste), almond oil (1 tablespoon), etc.), garlic (3 cloves), almonds (100 g), red pepper (1 pc.), onion (1 pc.), tomatoes in own juice (200 ml), orange juice (50 ml), dried basil (1 tbsp. L.), parmesan cheese (130 g). Fry finely chopped garlic in oil until golden brown. We take it out and fry the crushed almonds. Add crushed tomatoes, onion rings, and chopped peppers. Heat the onion until soft. Pour in orange juice. You can add a little bark. Add salt, basil, and black pepper to taste. Let simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat. Boil the rice until it is soft with the addition of olive oil. Put a pile of boiled grains on a plate and pour the sauce over it.
- Chicken with almond butter … Ingredients: chicken fillets (700 g), coconut flakes – 60 g, olive oil for frying (60 ml), zucchini (2 pcs.), Bulgarian pepper (2 pcs.), Carrots (2 pcs.), Lime juice (30 ml), garlic (1 clove), ginger (1 tablespoon), almond oil (2 tablespoons), salt (to taste). First, cut the fillets into long pieces and fry in olive oil until soft. Prepare the sauce separately. For that, mix almond oil, lime juice, garlic, coconut, ground ginger, and salt. Whisk until smooth. Fry grated carrots, chopped zucchini, and peppers in a pan after frying the chicken. Put the vegetables on a plate, a few pieces of chicken, and pour the almond sauce over.
- Trout with almond butter sauce Ingredients: trout (1 kg), onion (1 pc.), Olive oil (40 ml), herbs (50 g), butter (50 g), dry white wine (40 ml), almond oil (2 tbsp. L.), almonds (40 g), lemon juice (40 ml), salt and pepper. Add gutted trout carcasses and sprinkle with pepper inside and out. Chop the onion into strips and divide it into two parts. Place one part on the bottom of the baking tin and place the second, along with the black peppercorns and bay leaves, in the carcass. Pour wine into the bottom of the mold, sprinkle with chopped herbs, and top with fish. Pour olive oil over the entire surface. It is better to use the top grill for baking. Heat treatment time is 15-20 minutes. To make the sauce, heat the butter and fry in finely chopped almonds until golden. Remove from the heat and add a mixture of almond oil and lemon juice.
- Almond cakes with chocolate ganache Ingredients for the dough: flour (380 g), chopped almonds (200 g), cornstarch (3 tablespoons), butter (150 g), refined almond oil (50 ml), cognac (40 ml), vanilla (1 teaspoon), brown sugar (70 g). For the chocolate ganache, take dark chocolate (100 g), cream (60 ml), and sea salt (0.5 tsp.). Fry the almonds and mix with the starch and flour. Heat the butter to room temperature; add sugar, spirits, vanilla, and refined almond oil to the meal. Grind the resulting mass with a mixer until a uniform consistency is achieved. Then mix with the dry ingredients and knead the dough. We make a ball out of it, put it in a bag, and send it in the fridge for half an hour. From the chunks of the cooled mass, we form halves of the shells: one side should be flat, the other convex. For this, you can use special forms. Place on a baking sheet with paper and bake for up to 15 minutes at 180 degrees. Cool it down. Cook ganache: combine all ingredients in a saucepan. We heat it so that the chocolate melts and combines the cream and salt into one dough. Then, with the cream, we connect two halves. Let it freeze and serve.
Interesting facts about almond oil
Almond oil has been known for several millennia. And all the while, one appreciated his useful qualities according to his merits. In ancient Egypt, for example, this product was considered a symbol of well-being. It was not only eaten but also used for various magic ceremonies in prayers to the gods. The custom of praying for betterment began after the priests treated candles and money with almond oil.
It is known that the oily pomegranate kernel was also used by Cleopatra. It was this product that the queen used to maintain her beauty and youth.
Despite the fact that the product is rather expensive, nutritionists recommend including it in the diet to normalize digestion and improve overall health. You can also make it at home, but it’s much easier to eat just a few almond kernels.